- Open the Local Area Connection Properties page;
- Click the Settings button on the Advanced tab;
- On the General tab, ensure that the firewall is turned on.
Use the exceptions tab to create port-specific rules using the Add Port button. It's also possible to limit inbound...
traffic to certain IP addresses by clicking the Change Scope button on the Add a Port window.
When Windows Server 2008 was released, Microsoft included Windows Firewall with Advanced Security. This product offers a dramatically enhanced graphical user interface (GUI) and allows administrators to create both ingress (inbound traffic) and egress (outbound traffic) rules.
- Learn how to configure firewall files with Nipper.
- Expert Michael Cobb discusses how Windows Firewall with Advanced Security interacts with an IPsec command line tool.
Dig Deeper on Network Firewalls, Routers and Switches
Related Q&A from Mike Chapple
The rights of medical identity theft victims have been confused by health providers, but the rules under HIPAA are actually quite clear. Expert Mike ...continue reading
The New York State Department of Financial Services announced plans to increase cybersecurity regulations for financial firms. Here's what they need ...continue reading
Smaller organizations have a tougher time handling the compliance burden, specifically from the PCI DSS requirements. Expert Mike Chapple has some ...continue reading
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.