- Open the Local Area Connection Properties page;
- Click the Settings button on the Advanced tab;
- On the General tab, ensure that the firewall is turned on.
Use the exceptions tab to create port-specific rules using the Add Port button. It's also possible to limit inbound...
traffic to certain IP addresses by clicking the Change Scope button on the Add a Port window.
When Windows Server 2008 was released, Microsoft included Windows Firewall with Advanced Security. This product offers a dramatically enhanced graphical user interface (GUI) and allows administrators to create both ingress (inbound traffic) and egress (outbound traffic) rules.
- Learn how to configure firewall files with Nipper.
- Expert Michael Cobb discusses how Windows Firewall with Advanced Security interacts with an IPsec command line tool.
Dig Deeper on Network Firewalls, Routers and Switches
Related Q&A from Mike Chapple
The OWASP Top Ten list is not a compliance standard but a set of best practices for enterprises looking to boost Web app security. Here's how to get ...continue reading
A data breach notification policy is important to have, but deciding how to alert customers can be tough. Expert Mike Chapple explains some best ...continue reading
Tokenization technology can be confusing. Expert Mike Chapple explains what the difference is between two types of tokens and how tokenization can ...continue reading
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.