- Open the Local Area Connection Properties page;
- Click the Settings button on the Advanced tab;
- On the General tab, ensure that the firewall is turned on.
Use the exceptions tab to create port-specific rules using the Add Port button. It's also possible to limit inbound...
traffic to certain IP addresses by clicking the Change Scope button on the Add a Port window.
When Windows Server 2008 was released, Microsoft included Windows Firewall with Advanced Security. This product offers a dramatically enhanced graphical user interface (GUI) and allows administrators to create both ingress (inbound traffic) and egress (outbound traffic) rules.
- Learn how to configure firewall files with Nipper.
- Expert Michael Cobb discusses how Windows Firewall with Advanced Security interacts with an IPsec command line tool.
Dig Deeper on Network Firewalls, Routers and Switches
Related Q&A from Mike Chapple
Are nonprofit organizations, like higher education institutions, subject to FTC cybersecurity regulations and oversight? Expert Mike Chapple explains.continue reading
It's important for healthcare organizations to have a clear social media policy. Expert Mike Chapple explains what needs to be in the policy to stay ...continue reading
SOC 2 evaluations can be helpful tools for organizations assessing their HIPAA compliance, but companies should not solely rely on them. Compliance ...continue reading
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.