- Open the Local Area Connection Properties page;
- Click the Settings button on the Advanced tab;
- On the General tab, ensure that the firewall is turned on.
Use the exceptions tab to create port-specific rules using the Add Port button. It's also possible to limit inbound...
traffic to certain IP addresses by clicking the Change Scope button on the Add a Port window.
When Windows Server 2008 was released, Microsoft included Windows Firewall with Advanced Security. This product offers a dramatically enhanced graphical user interface (GUI) and allows administrators to create both ingress (inbound traffic) and egress (outbound traffic) rules.
- Learn how to configure firewall files with Nipper.
- Expert Michael Cobb discusses how Windows Firewall with Advanced Security interacts with an IPsec command line tool.
Dig Deeper on Network Firewalls, Routers and Switches
Related Q&A from Mike Chapple
Encrypting data going to the cloud is a security best practice, but does it add extra challenges for regulators that might need to access the data? ...continue reading
Merchants that sell at off-site venues need to take extra care to follow PCI compliance standards. Expert Mike Chapple discusses how organizations ...continue reading
The FTC's order for PCI DSS compliance assessments is odd since PCI isn't a government regulation. Expert Mike Chapple explains the motivation ...continue reading
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.