Problem solve Get help with specific problems with your technologies, process and projects.

How to prevent and build protection against online identity theft

In this expert response, John Strand explains what to do when your personal identity is impersonated online.

I have an ex-employee who has created a fake email address in my name and is using it to post fake ads on an Internet site, leaving my phone contact details. The police haven't been able to help. How can I gather digital evidence that I can present to the police or some other authority?
First, I would like to know how you know it is the ex-employee in question. This information can help direct the authorities if something illegal happens. But that is the key. Simply pretending to be someone online is not necessarily a crime that will interest the authorities.

Second, it appears that you are trying to gear up for a legal case. I strongly recommend against this action. Litigation...

is never cheap and is seldom fun.

I would recommend contacting the site where the content is being posted. If you can prove that you were not the one who created the fake ad, many of these sites will remove the content in question. That being said, once it is on the Internet, it will most likely be there forever in some form or another (think Google Cache).

This was last published in April 2009

Dig Deeper on Information security laws, investigations and ethics



Find more PRO+ content and other member only offers, here.

Have a question for an expert?

Please add a title for your question

Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.

You will be able to add details on the next page.

Start the conversation

Send me notifications when other members comment.

By submitting you agree to receive email from TechTarget and its partners. If you reside outside of the United States, you consent to having your personal data transferred to and processed in the United States. Privacy

Please create a username to comment.








  • CIO Trends #6: Nordics

    In this e-guide, read how the High North and Baltic Sea collaboration is about to undergo a serious and redefining makeover to ...

  • CIO Trends #6: Middle East

    In this e-guide we look at the role of information technology as the Arabian Gulf commits billions of dollars to building more ...

  • CIO Trends #6: Benelux

    In this e-guide, read about the Netherlands' coalition government's four year plan which includes the term 'cyber' no fewer than ...