Ask the Expert

Where to obtain a degree in cryptography

I want to obtain a degree in cryptography. What universities offer a degree? Where should I start to begin learning about cryptography?

    Requires Free Membership to View

To obtain a degree in cryptography, per se, it will probably be necessary for you to pursue a Master's or a doctorate (PhD) degree. My searches of undergraduate programs -- even at the best computer science and mathematics institutions in the world -- do not reveal any undergraduate degrees in cryptography.

In fact, because cryptography is both algorithmic and mathematical in nature, you can probably pursue such a course of study in either a mathematics or a computer science program. Guessing from your name that you might be on the Indian sub-continent, the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) is a highly regarded academic program with offerings and faculty that could support such a course of study. Here in the United States, the best schools for cryptography include MIT, Carnegie-Mellon University, Purdue University, Stanford University and the University of Washington (Seattle).

I hope this reply manages to answer your question and to address your concerns. If not, please feel free to write again.

For more on this topic, visit these other resources:
Quiz: Cryptography
Tech Tip: Tales from the crypto, part one
Executive Security Briefing: Public key cryptography Q&A

This was first published in September 2002

There are Comments. Add yours.

TIP: Want to include a code block in your comment? Use <pre> or <code> tags around the desired text. Ex: <code>insert code</code>

REGISTER or login:

Forgot Password?
By submitting you agree to receive email from TechTarget and its partners. If you reside outside of the United States, you consent to having your personal data transferred to and processed in the United States. Privacy
Sort by: OldestNewest

Forgot Password?

No problem! Submit your e-mail address below. We'll send you an email containing your password.

Your password has been sent to: