Tom Bowers is an occasional SearchSecurity.com contributor. Currently Bowers is the chief information security officer for the Virginia Community College System (VCCS). VCCS is the state agency responsible for providing services to all 23 community colleges in Virginia in support of their 400,000+ students, faculty and staff. He is responsible for providing both strategic vision and tactical implementation of core information security initiatives, in addition to leadership for the transition from ISO 17799 to 27002:5 certification. Bowers is also responsible for the creation of core information security operations that enable the educational services of VCCS community college partners.
Known for his keen insight in translating business risk/requirements into flexible security architecture, Bowers is a globally experienced manager, technologist and project manager. Respected for his strong leadership, creative problem solving and unique business insight, he is able to take strategic vision and break it down to actionable project steps. Tom is known for his ability to mentor his people and build creative, out-of-the-box thinkers.
Bowers is currently completing doctoral studies in executive leadership from Mountain State University with research in leadership and virtual communities.
Contributions from Tom Bowers, Contributor
- Making the case for network security configuration mana
- How to conduct a data classification assessment
- Cyber-Ark Enterprise Password Vault 4.0 product review
- Using role management in provisioning and compliance
- Using IAM, password and provisioning management tools f
- Reconnex's iGuard v5 security tool review
- Strategic considerations for an integrated malware defe
- Authentication in the real world: Moving from strategy
- Product Review: MailGate 5500 solid, not perfect
- Review: Spam Firewall a 'comfortable mid-sized sedan'
- E-mail Security: Barracuda Spam Firewall
- SSH Tectia's security solid; deployment difficult
- Real-world security metrics
- Sizing up e-mail appliances, part 3
- How to write an RFP
- Sizing up e-mail appliances
- R30000 Enterprise Filter
- Phishing: The business risks and strategies for mitigat
- Five strategies for endpoint security
- Network device management systems