Ernest N. Hayden (Ernie), CISSP, CEH, is currently an executive consultant with Alexandria, VA.-based Securicon. Previously, he was managing principal, critical infrastructure protection/cybersecurity with Verizon, where his primary focus was on supporting customer projects regarding smart grid security, energy supply security, and electric grid security with special emphasis on NERC Critical Infrastructure Protection (CIP) standards. He has extensive experience in the power utility industry, critical infrastructure protection/information security, cybercrime and cyberwarfare. Ernie is a noted writer and speaker on the topic of smart grid security.
Prior to Verizon, Ernie was the information security strategic advisor in the compliance office at Seattle City Light. Ernie was also the chief information security officer for the Port of Seattle, one of the nation's largest combined airport and seaport operations.
Previously Ernie held several significant management positions in both the business management and the information security management arenas. He was president and CEO of Bellevue, Wash.-based MCM Enterprise, an advanced sensor technology company for the hydroelectric sector; he was IT security lead for the Seattle Justice Information System in the Seattle Municipal Courts and Seattle Police Department; he was director of security services for Alstom ESCA software; executive director for the Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI) covering Western U.S. and Canadian operations; and commissioned officer in the US Navy qualified as a nuclear engineer and surface warfare officer.
Do you have a question for our experts?
Contributions from Ernie Hayden, Contributor
- The NIST cybersecurity framework is here: Now what?
- How to make a security awareness program 'contagious'
- Infosec is booming, so why is it so hard to land a good job?
- Emerging technologies: Positioning security as an enabler
- Infosec strategies must change: Here's how to start
- South Carolina breach: A lesson in security alignment
- Data breach protection requires new barriers
- How to retain good infosec employees
- How CISOs can fill security positions
- Why CISOs must adopt a new mentality to protect data
- Understanding 'big data' security issues
- Video Ask the Expert: Why security conscience matters
- Why having a CISO can reduce data breach costs
- Awareness training for executives: How to get started
- Why CISOs must actively engage management on security
- How security teams can spot high-risk employees
- How to manage information security legal issues
- Which is best: Certification or an IT security degree?
- Thwarting a hacktivist: Avoid sociopolitical attacks
- Cybersecurity insurance: Choosing an insurance policy