This page is part of a Security School lesson, featuring a selection of expert technical content on this topic. Explore more in this school:
5. - About Joel Snyder: Read more in this section
- Joel Snyder, Contributor
Explore other sections in this guide:
Joel Snyder is a Senior Partner at Opus One, a consulting firm, in Tucson, Arizona. He is an internationally known expert in the area of telecommunications and networks, with an emphasis on security. His Ph.D. thesis, from the University of Arizona's Department of Management Information Systems, analyzed the development, use, and technologies of computer networks in the former Soviet Union.
As a consultant with more than three decades of experience, Snyder has written compilers, data management applications, conferencing systems, VLSI layout applications, firewalls, and network software; designed and implemented information systems for clients as small as a two-person brokerage house and as large as NASA; built network systems for clients on six continents; assisted software and hardware vendors in design, review, architecture, development, and testing of products; and served on ANSI, IEEE, ISO, and CCITT working groups developing telecommunications standards.
Snyder's clients include organizations throughout the Americas, Europe, and Asia, including enterprises, NGOs, and governments. As an author and trainer, Snyder has given keynote speeches at conferences in the US, Europe, Africa, and Asia. He has presented training seminars to many clients, including both private and public agencies.
Snyder has written hundreds of articles, has been published in over a dozen different journals and industry magazines in the US, UK, Russia, Germany, Australia, Portugal, Denmark, Japan, Spain, Italy, and France.
His product testing work in network and telecommunications products is well known and respected in the field, and his published reviews have received several awards for editorial excellence.
Dr. Snyder has also written three books and edited two journals.
Do you have a question for our experts?
Contributions from Joel Snyder, Contributor
- Next-generation firewalls: Top five myths
- Find network security Zen by turning off the firewall
- Next-generation firewall quiz: Must-have NGFW features
- Security factors to consider before buying Chinese IT
- Using SIMs for application monitoring
- Testing firewalls: A three-step guide
- UTM for the enterprise
- Do you need an IDS or IPS, or both?
- Video: The foundation of an email security strategy
- Video: Setting up a secure wireless network
- How to get the most out of a SIM
- Essential elements of a network access control (NAC) en
- Security event management, no strings attached
- Joel Snyder: The future of intrusion defense
- Achieving network security with new antivirus tools
- Key technologies in an intrusion defense strategy
- IPsec and SSL VPNs: Solving remote access problems
- 7 steps to safeguard enterprise e-mail
- Wireless lockdown: Unplugged not insecure
- Layered access control: 6 top defenses that work