John Strand currently is a Senior Security Researcher with his company Black Hills Information Security, and a consultant with Argotek, Inc for TS/SCI programs. He also teaches the SANS 504 "Hacker Techniques, Exploits and Incident Handling," 517, "Cutting Edge Hacking Techniques," and 560 "Network Penetration Testing" classes as a Certified SANS Instructor.
John started the practice of computer security with Accenture Consulting in the areas of intrusion detection, incident response, and vulnerability assessment/penetration testing. He then moved on to Northrop Grumman specializing in DCID 6/3 PL3-PL5 (multi-level security solutions), security architectures, and program certification and accreditation. John is also a contributing author to Nagios 3 Enterprise Network Monitoring. He has a Masters degree from Denver University, and is currently also a professor at Denver University. In his spare time he writes loud rock music and makes various futile attempts at fly-fishing.
Do you have a question for our experts?
Contributions from John Strand, featured expert
- What are today's antivirus software trends?
- How to detect input validation errors and vulnerabilities
- How to prevent and build protection against online identity theft
- Can secure USB devices prevent man-in-the middle attacks
- How to prevent network denial-of-service attacks
- When should new browsers be adopted in an enterprise?
- Is there a spy on my mobile device?
- The telltale signs of a network attack
- How to detect keyloggers
- How are companies removing malware from blogs?
- How can 419 scam emails and backscatter spam be stopped?
- Will Google Chrome enhance overall browser security?
- How to prevent SSH brute force attacks
- How to secure a website containing badware (banner82)
- What can encoded syntax attacks do to Web applications?
- To prevent cross-site scripting, should specific words and characters be rejected?
- Does cloud-based antivirus provide better malware detection?
- How easily can spyware be placed on a mobile phone?
- What are the basics of a Web browser exploit?
- Are daily antivirus scans in XP Normal Mode effective?