This article is part of an Essential Guide, our editor-selected collection of our best articles, videos and other content on this topic. Explore more in this guide:
5. - Your questions answered: Read more in this section
- Mike Chapple, Enterprise Compliance
- Joseph Granneman, Security Management
Explore other sections in this guide:
Mike Chapple, Ph. D., CISA, CISSP, is an IT security manager with the University of Notre Dame. He previously served as an information security researcher with the National Security Agency and the U.S. Air Force. Chapple is a frequent contributor to SearchSecurity.com, and serves as its resident expert on enterprise compliance, frameworks and standards for its Ask the Experts panel. He previously served as site expert on network security, is a technical editor for Information Security magazine and the author of several information security titles, including the CISSP Prep Guide and Information Security Illuminated.
See below for Mike's archive of advice on both compliance and network security. To submit a question for Mike, click on the "Ask a Question" tab above.
Do you have a question for our experts?
Contributions from Mike Chapple, Enterprise Compliance
- Front-end/back-end firewalls vs. chassis-based firewalls
- How to configure a firewall to communicate with an upstream router
- Should static analysis be a part of the software development process?
- Cracks in WPA? How to continue protecting Wi-Fi network
- What firewall controls should be placed on the VPN?
- Should software be used to monitor networks for blogging activity?
- What OSI Layer 4 protocol does FTP use to guarantee data delivery?
- What defenses can prevent the hijacking of a city's fiber network?
- How to obtain a digital certificate for a server
- How to spot network attacks without spending money
- What are 'phlashing' attacks?
- Do good passwords make it safer to do banking on an open connection?
- What firewall features will best protect a LAN from Internet hack attacks and malware?
- How to become an information security expert
- Writing Wireshark network traffic filters
- How to create a (very) limited access directory on a network
- The top LAN security issues in a client-server network environment
- How will many firewalls serving as the default gateway affect the DMZ?
- Should tunnels be connected from an ISP to an internal data center?
- Intrusion detection vs. intrusion prevention