This article is part of an Essential Guide, our editor-selected collection of our best articles, videos and other content on this topic. Explore more in this guide:
5. - Your questions answered: Read more in this section
- Mike Chapple, Enterprise Compliance
- Joseph Granneman, security management
Explore other sections in this guide:
Mike Chapple, Ph. D., CISA, CISSP, is an IT security manager with the University of Notre Dame. He previously served as an information security researcher with the National Security Agency and the U.S. Air Force. Chapple is a frequent contributor to SearchSecurity.com, and serves as its resident expert on enterprise compliance, frameworks and standards for its Ask the Experts panel. He previously served as site expert on network security, is a technical editor for Information Security magazine and the author of several information security titles, including the CISSP Prep Guide and Information Security Illuminated.
See below for Mike's archive of advice on both compliance and network security. To submit a question for Mike, click on the "Ask a Question" tab above.
Do you have a question for our experts?
Contributions from Mike Chapple, Enterprise Compliance
- How to secure an FTP connection
- DMVPN configuration: Should a firewall be between router and Internet?
- What are the pros and cons of shaping P2P packets?
- Should an ISP keep corrupted machines off of a network?
- Is centralized logging worth all the effort?
- What is the best possible IDS deployment for an Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system?
- Should an intrusion detection system (IDS) be written using Java?
- Can Trojans and other malware exploit split-tunnel VPNs?
- Can a firewall alone effectively block port-scanning activity?
- How helpful is the centralized logging of network flow data?
- Open source vs. commercial network access control (NAC) products
- The road from network administrator to information security professional
- A security checklist: How to build a solid DMZ
- What to consider before opening a port
- Enterprise security in 2008: Addressing emerging threat
- Learning from TJX: Essentials of secure Wi-Fi
- What are the benefits of 'in-the-cloud' network security services?
- Comparing proxy servers and packet-filtering firewalls
- Should an IT staff be concerned with a network's physical security?
- Will FTP ever be a secure way to transfer files?