This article is part of an Essential Guide, our editor-selected collection of our best articles, videos and other content on this topic. Explore more in this guide:
5. - Your questions answered: Read more in this section
- Mike Chapple, Enterprise Compliance
- Joseph Granneman, security management
Explore other sections in this guide:
Mike Chapple, Ph. D., CISA, CISSP, is an IT security manager with the University of Notre Dame. He previously served as an information security researcher with the National Security Agency and the U.S. Air Force. Chapple is a frequent contributor to SearchSecurity.com, and serves as its resident expert on enterprise compliance, frameworks and standards for its Ask the Experts panel. He previously served as site expert on network security, is a technical editor for Information Security magazine and the author of several information security titles, including the CISSP Prep Guide and Information Security Illuminated.
See below for Mike's archive of advice on both compliance and network security. To submit a question for Mike, click on the "Ask a Question" tab above.
Do you have a question for our experts?
Contributions from Mike Chapple, Enterprise Compliance
- How well do content filtering tools limit network traffic?
- Can a TCP connection be made without an open port?
- Are all data packets treated equally?
- Which security practices can lower exposure to zero-day attacks?
- Which wireless security assessment tools are commercially available?
- How should a desktop firewall policy manage open ports?
- What enterprise tools can scan files for sensitive data?
- Should log traffic be encrypted?
- What is the risk estimation model for SSL VPN implementation?
- How 'quadplay' convergence can improve network security
- Are honeypots safe to implement in a router?
- Can Group Policy be used to change local user permissions?
- What is the cause of a wireless LAN's unsecured connection?
- How do stateful inspection and packet-filtering firewalls differ?
- Malware: The changing landscape
- What types of Web services can compromise Web server security?
- How do L2TP and PPTP differ from IPsec?
- Can laptop users' offline activities be monitored?
- How should I repair a firewall that cannot process HTTPS addresses?
- Can open ports increase LAN exposure?