The following is an excerpt from the book Information Security Roles and Responsibilities Made Easy written by...
Charles Cresson Wood and published by Information Shield. This section explains the importance of good relationship management skills.
In order to get anything done, an information security manager is going to need to work with and through a lot of people. If the manager is strictly a work-alone technical type, he or she is going to have a lot of trouble in a position as information security manager. The information security manager in most organizations does not have the power that goes along with a top management spot, where he or she could simply order others to follow policies, standards and other information security requirements. Instead, acting in a staff advisory role, the information security manager must convince and persuade others to follow these same requirements. In this same regard, many people talk about the manager's role as a salesperson, selling information security. Some people think it's even more difficult, something akin to converting other people to a new religion. Whatever metaphor you prefer, it's clear that an information security manager must have superior people skills, must know how to maintain good working relationships with a wide variety of people, and must be able to maintain the trust and support of these same people.
INFORMATION SECURITY MANAGER QUALIFICATIONS
- Excellent communication skills
- Good relationship management skills
- Ability to manage many important projects simultaneously
- Ability to resolve conflicts between security and business objectives
- Ability to see the big picture
- Basic familiarity with information security technology
- Real world hands-on experience
- Commitment to staying on top of the technology
- Honesty and high-integrity character
- Familiarity with information security management
- Tolerance for ambiguity and uncertainty
- Demonstrated good judgement
- Ability to work independently
- A certain amount of polish
Information Security Roles and Responsibilities Made Easy, Version 2
By Charles Cresson Wood
278 pages; $495
Published by Information Shield
Charles Cresson Wood asks:
Do you agree that good relationship management skills are important for an information security manager?
1 ResponseJoin the Discussion