Security School: Training for CISSP® Certification
Discover everything you need to know to ace the CISSP® exam with our first series of SearchSecurity.com Security School webcasts, which are focused on CISSP training. Each lesson corresponds to a specific domain in the CISSP exam's "Common Body of Knowledge" -- the essential elements each CISSP-certified practitioner must know.
Log in and benefit from:
- Free access to the 45-minute lesson/domain webcast. (Registration required.)
- Free "Domain Spotlight" -- an insider's guide to each domain.
- Free sample exam prep questions for the domain. (Webcast registration required.)
Domain 7: Business continuity
[Register here to view the Lesson/Domain 7 webcast and download the quiz.]
Business continuity planning can be the item that determines life or death of a company. Today, approximately 65% of companies could not stay in business if they had to be closed for a week or longer. It's estimated that less than 5% of companies are truly prepared to endure and survive a disaster. These numbers have been improving since 9/11/2001, which caused many corporations take business continuity and disaster recovery more seriously.
Disaster recovery focuses on how to survive a disaster and what to do right after a disaster. These plans are usually technology-oriented and focus on getting the network and systems up and running as quickly as possible. Business continuity deals with keeping a company and business after a disaster has been experienced and takes a lot more into account than just technology. More and more companies are developing business continuity into their environment because of the raised awareness of tragic possibilities, but also because of new regulatory requirements that infer executive management obligations for fiscal responsibility.
The following are a few of the topics that are covered in this domain:
- Business continuity and disaster recovery planning: Management leadership, goals and requirements, business impact analysis, team building and implementation.
- Backup alternatives: Hardware and software approaches, collocation, electronic vaulting, offsite facilities requirements and types.
- Recovery and testing: Strategies for executing recovery, carrying out drills and types of plan testing.
- Emergency response: Preserving assets and life, reducing fraud, theft and vandalism.
Read the full Domain Spotlight on business continuity here.
> Register here to view this webcast and download the quiz on Lesson/Domain 7 – business continuity.
> Go back to the Security School for CISSP Training table of contents.
About Shon Harris:
Shon Harris is a CISSP, MCSE and President of Logical Security, a firm specializing in security educational and training tools. Logical Security offers curriculum, virtual labs, instructor slides and tools for lease by training companies, security companies, military organizations, government sectors and corporations.
Shon is also a security consultant, an engineer in the Air Force's Information Warfare unit, an entrepreneur and an author. She has authored two best selling CISSP books, including CISSP All-in-One Exam Guide, and was a contributing author to the book Hacker's Challenge. Shon is currently finishing her newest book, Gray Hat Hacking: The Ethical Hacker's Handbook.
CISSP® is a registered certification mark of the International Information Systems Security Certification Consortium, Inc., also known as ISC(2).
This was first published in January 2005