Despite heightened fears about cyberwarfare, March was a pretty slow month for new viruses and worms.
By submitting your personal information, you agree that TechTarget and its partners may contact you regarding relevant content, products and special offers.
"Central Command saw no major changes in this month's Dirty Dozen," said Steven Sundermeier, product manager of Central Command, Inc. Klez-E and Yaha-E held onto the Nos. 1 and 2 positions with 21.6% and 10.8%, respectively.
Sophos' highest new entry for the month shows the popularity of the Kazaa peer-to-peer file sharing network, said Graham Cluley, senior technology consultant at the antivirus vendor.
"This month's highest new entry is Gibe, a worm which spreads via the Kazaa network. Businesses need to have a long hard think about whether these applications have a valid place on their networks," he said.
Here are the top viruses and worms according to leading antivirus vendors:
Sophos' top 10 viruses and worms for March:
1. W32/Klez-H (Klez variant) 15.3%
2. W32/Sobig-A (Sobig worm) 5.2%
3. W32/Gibe-D (Gibe variant) 4.4%
4. W32/Avril-B (Avril variant) 3.2%
5. W32/Yaha-E (Yaha variant) 3.0%
6. W32/Avril-A (Avril worm) 2.6%
7. W32/Yaha-K (Yaha variant) 2.4%
8. W32/Bugbear-A (Bugbear worm) 2.2%
9. JS/NoClose (NoClose Trojan 2.0%
9. W32/Lovgate-B (Lovgate variant) 2.0%
Central Command's Dirty Dozen for March:
1. Worm/Klez.E (includes G) 21.6%
2. W32/Yaha.E 10.8%
3. Worm/Yaha.M 8.9%
4. Worm/Avril.B 6.4%
5. Worm/Sobig.A 6.3%
6. Worm/Avril.A 5.8%
7. Worm/BugBear 4.6%
8. W32/Funlove 2.3%
9. Worm/Yaha.L 2.0%
10. Worm/Sircam 1.7%
11. W32/Nimda 1.4%
12. Worm/Badtrans.B 1.1%
Trend Micro's list of the top 10 viruses for March:
1. PE FUNLOVE.4099
2. WORM KLEZ.H
4. PE ELKERN.D
5. PE NIMDA.A-O
6. PE PARITE.A
7. BKDR GLITCH.B
8. WORM YAHA.G
9. PE NIMDA.E
10. WORM YAHA.K
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
- FEEDBACK: Has the war in Iraq forced you to re-evaluate your enterprise's IT security?
Send your feedback to the SearchSecurity.com news team.
Dig Deeper on Malware, virus, Trojan and spyware protection and removal