There is an e-mail hoax going around that, like the SULFNBK.EXE Warning hoax, tries to persuade you to delete a...
legitimate Windows file from your computer. The file that the hoax refers to, Jdbgmgr.exe, is a Java Debugger Manager. It is a Microsoft file that is installed when you install Windows.
If you have already deleted the Jdbgmgr.exe file, some Java applets may not run correctly. This is not a critical system file. The file version may vary with your operating system and version of Internet Explorer.The subject of the hoax e-mail is:
I Think I Sent You a Virus!! The text looks like this: "Hello all. I picked up a virus from an email message last week and I fear that I've sent it to you. Please follow the instructions below and you'll rid yourself of what someone thinks is very funny. I'm really sorry for this inconvenience, but it's better to be safe than sorry. Hey, I'm so sorry, but my computer was just infected by a virus that was passed through someone's address book. My address book, in turn, has been infected. The virus (called jdbgmgr.exe) is not detected by Norton or McAfee anti-virus systems. The virus sits quietly for 14 days before damaging the system. It's sent automatically by the messenger and by the Address Book, whether or not you sent emails to your contacts. I have checked, found it and deleted it. Sorry again. Here's how to check for the virus and how to get rid of it: Do This:
1. Go to start, Find or Search option.
2. In the files/folder option, write the name jdbgmgr.exe
3. Be sure you search your C drive.
4. click "find now".
5. The virus has a teddy bear icon with the name jdbgmgr.exe. DO NOT OPEN IT!
6. Right click and delete it. It will then go to the Recycle Bin.
7. Go to the Recycle Bin and delete it there as well. IF YOU FIND THE VIRUS, YOU MUST CONTACT ALL THE PEOPLE IN YOUR ADDRESS BOOK SO THEY CAN ERADICATE IT IN THEIR OWN ADDRESS BOOKS. SORRY ABOUT THIS. I'M SURE EVERYONE IN MY ADDRESS BOOK WILL HAVE IT." Again, please do not follow the instructions or forward this around! This file is needed by the OS.
Dig Deeper on Email and Messaging Threats (spam, phishing, instant messaging)