Joel Snyder, senior partner with consultancy Opus One and technical editor of Information Security magazine, presented...
this session at Information Security Decisions Fall 2005.
From the Internet down to PDAs, every device that touches or connects to a network is a potential security problem. Successful network security requires attention to detail at every layer, starting from the outside and moving in. In this talk, Joel introduces six strategies for building layered security in networks. By moving from a statement of requirements and problems needing to be solved, into definite actions you can take today, these strategies define clear prescriptions to bolster network security.
Joel not only covers the top 6 strategies, he also highlights best practices for putting it all together in an enterprise network in the areas of:
- Authentication and authorization
- Traffic separation and coarse-grained security
- Fine-grained security and protocol control
- Encryption and privacy
- Intrusion detection and problem remediation
- End-point security awareness and enforcement