If you can't log in as root because the password is lost or shadow file is corrupt, try to get in using the following method.
1. Get a bootable CD (Any Solaris 6 or 7) will do.
2. Boot from the CD.
3. Bring up a console in the installation mode.
4. Mount / file system from the hard drive.
5. Edit /etc/passwd or /etc/shadow to remove the encrypted password.
6. Restart machine and boot from hard drive.
7. Now login as root with a blank passwd.
This was first published in November 2002
Our Tips Exchange is a forum for you to share technical advice and expertise with your peers and to learn from other enterprise IT professionals. TechTarget provides the infrastructure to facilitate this sharing of information. However, we cannot guarantee the accuracy or validity of the material submitted. You agree that your use of the Ask The Expert services and your reliance on any questions, answers, information or other materials received through this Web site is at your own risk.