If you can't log in as root because the password is lost or shadow file is corrupt, try to get in using the following...
By submitting your email address, you agree to receive emails regarding relevant topic offers from TechTarget and its partners. You can withdraw your consent at any time. Contact TechTarget at 275 Grove Street, Newton, MA.
1. Get a bootable CD (Any Solaris 6 or 7) will do.
2. Boot from the CD.
3. Bring up a console in the installation mode.
4. Mount / file system from the hard drive.
5. Edit /etc/passwd or /etc/shadow to remove the encrypted password.
6. Restart machine and boot from hard drive.
7. Now login as root with a blank passwd.