If you can't log in as root because the password is lost or shadow file is corrupt, try to get in using the following...
By submitting your personal information, you agree that TechTarget and its partners may contact you regarding relevant content, products and special offers.
1. Get a bootable CD (Any Solaris 6 or 7) will do.
2. Boot from the CD.
3. Bring up a console in the installation mode.
4. Mount / file system from the hard drive.
5. Edit /etc/passwd or /etc/shadow to remove the encrypted password.
6. Restart machine and boot from hard drive.
7. Now login as root with a blank passwd.