This tip was submitted to the searchSecurity Tip Exchange by user Adeel Hussain. Let other users know how useful...
it is by rating the tip below.
Protecting the confidential and client information on your computer is always an important concern. Traveling for extended periods of time presents some additional challenges in the protection of your information.
The following is a list of things to do before and during your trip to protect the information on your computer.
Before your trip:
- Ensure that all your data is backed up.
- Ensure you have the latest updates for your antivirus program.
- Remove any unnecessary information from your computer.
- If traveling internationally, ensure you have the proper documentation to prove the ownership of the computer.
During your trip:
- Keep all personal information and floppy disks separate from your computer.
- Never store your SecurID token with your computer.
- Always try to secure your computer using a cable lock.
- When your computer is not in use store it securely and out of sight.
- Try to update your antivirus program as often as possible, at least once a week.
- Never check your computer as luggage, or give it to a bellhop.