This tip was submitted to the searchSecurity Tip Exchange by user Adeel Hussain. Let other users know how useful it is by rating the tip below.
The following is a list of things to do before and during your trip to protect the information on your computer.
Before your trip:
- Ensure that all your data is backed up.
- Ensure you have the latest updates for your antivirus program.
- Remove any unnecessary information from your computer.
- If traveling internationally, ensure you have the proper documentation to prove the ownership of the computer.
During your trip:
- Keep all personal information and floppy disks separate from your computer.
- Never store your SecurID token with your computer.
- Always try to secure your computer using a cable lock.
- When your computer is not in use store it securely and out of sight.
- Try to update your antivirus program as often as possible, at least once a week.
- Never check your computer as luggage, or give it to a bellhop.
This was first published in February 2002