Problem solve Get help with specific problems with your technologies, process and projects.

Prerequisite for GIAC certified Windows security administrator

What can you say about the new GCWN SANS certification, GIAC certified Windows security administrator? Would this be better to pursue if I have a background in Microsoft as opposed to the CISSP?

To obtain the GCWN cert, you must either take and pass the SANS GSEC or supply an alternative, acceptable credential. It just so happens that the CISSP is recogized as such an alternative, and it also happens that the CISSP is better recognized and more frequently requested by name than any other security cert. Thus, you might be best served by pursuing both!

For more information on this topic, visit these other SearchSecurity.com resources:
Careers and Certification Tip: The CISSP
Ask the Expert: Qualification assessment for the CISSP
Ask the Expert: Entry-level certs prior to CISSP

This was last published in September 2002

Dig Deeper on Information security policies, procedures and guidelines

Have a question for an expert?

Please add a title for your question

Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.

You will be able to add details on the next page.

Start the conversation

Send me notifications when other members comment.

Please create a username to comment.