"OK, boys and girls! Do you have your secret decoder handy? Here's this week's special message." (Radio message to subscribed members of the Lone Ranger Club, circa 1943.)
How to take the quiz:
- After reading the question, click on the answer that you think is correct to go to the whatis.com definition. If the answer you've chosen is correct, you will see the question text (or a paraphrase of it) somewhere in the definition.
- Check your answers by using the answer key at the end of the quiz.
6) This is the encryption algorithm that will begin to supplant the Data Encryption Standard (DES) - and later Triple DES - over the next few years as the new standard encryption algorithm.
9) This is a mode of operation for a block cipher, with the characteristic that each possible block of plaintext has a defined corresponding ciphertext value and vice versa.
b) hash function
d) Electronic Code Book
10) This is a trial and error method used to decode encrypted data through exhaustive effort rather than employing intellectual strategies.
a) chaffing and winnowing
d) brute force cracking