News Stay informed about the latest enterprise technology news and product updates.

Quick Takes: Password management made easy

Quick Takes: Password management made easy

PentaSafe brings self-service password management to bear

PentaSafe Security Technologies released VigilEnt User Manager - Password Management, a Web-based security product for enterprise user account management. The product allows users to change forgotten or expired passwords. The technology behind the product is PentaSafe's Agent technology that is based upon XML over secure socket layer (SSL). The product enforces authentication and password policy, cuts down on password requests to the help desk and eliminates the need to pass sensitive data over a phone line. The product supports Windows 2000/NT, AS/400, Unix (Sun Solaris, IBM AIX, HP-UX and Linux), Oracle, Sybase, NetWare and Consul OS/390. VigilEnt User Manager - Password Management will be available March 25.

More on PentaSafe

Viaquo offers PGP alternative

Viaquo Corp., announced it has expanded marketing of its ViaSeal security product on the heels of Network Associates' decision to discontinue service and support of Pretty Good Privacy desktop encryption products. Viaquo's Distributed Access Permissioning Software is a distributed security platform that can be quickly deployed and centrally managed across any-sized corporate enterprise or network. Users can encrypt files and store or transmit them and only other company-authorized ViaSeal accounts will be able to decrypt those files. ViaSeal differs from PGP in that it is an access permissioning platform designed for one-to-many distribution of digital files of all kinds. ViaSeal supports message forwarding, e-mail aliases and distribution lists, existing e-mail deployments and allows companies to set up "guest accounts" for any number of outside users.

More on Viaquo

Infonetics Research: SonicWall leads VPN hardware market

The March 2002 Infonetics Report identifies SonicWall as the market share leader for the worldwide total dedicated VPN hardware market. SonicWall accounted for 13% of unit shipments in 2001 and tied for market share leadership of the worldwide total firewall market with 14% of shipments in Q4 2001. Also, SonicWALL is the unit and revenue market share leader of the worldwide midrange dedicated VPN hardware market, with unit shipments totaling 27% and revenues totaling 16% of the market in 2001.

More on SonicWall

Guardent service gets handle on vulnerabilities

Guarden announced its new Managed Vulnerability Protection Service (MVPS), a service that tests for network vulnerabilities from inside the firewall as well as outside. MVPS leverages Guardent's Security Defense Appliance (SDA) enabling users to detect and categorize vulnerabilities inside and outside a network through a combination of Internet-based scanning and the data gathered from scanning the company's internal network. Before a client receives their first scan, a risk assessment is performed to identify critical components of their infrastructure. The result of this risk assessment is a client profile that provides Guardent with the ability to ensure that issues are prioritized appropriately and that vulnerabilities found in critical systems are acted upon immediately by a Guardent security analyst.

More on Guardent MVPS

Targus adds fingerprint reader for ThinkPad users

Targus announced this week the DEFCON PC Card Fingerprint Authenticator for IBM ThinkPad notebook users. The product comes in a PC card formate that features a retractable fingerprint sensor that authenticates designated users. The product is compatible with IBM's Embedded Security Subsystem and features TruePrint technology by biometric semiconductor developer, AuthenTec. TruePrint is a subsurface technology that senses and verifies the second layer of skin, where true fingerprints begin. This unique subsurface capability eliminates recognition failures relating to common issues such as soiled, moist or dry fingers that often defeat surface-based fingerprint technologies.

More on Targus

To have your announcement included in Quick Takes, contact Michael S. Mimoso, News Editor.

Dig Deeper on Password management and policy

Start the conversation

Send me notifications when other members comment.

By submitting you agree to receive email from TechTarget and its partners. If you reside outside of the United States, you consent to having your personal data transferred to and processed in the United States. Privacy

Please create a username to comment.